PA Overdose Prevention Program
The Pennsylvania Overdose Prevention Program (POPP) launched in August 2023 as a joint initiative between the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) and the Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP). The program offers multiple formulations of naloxone as well as drug checking strips designed to detect xylazine and fentanyl at no cost to individuals and organizations across Pennsylvania.
POPP's goal is to enhance community-based distribution and harm reduction efforts, with a focus on reaching individuals with the greatest risk of experiencing overdose. These include, but are not limited to, the following populations:
- People who are currently using substances;
- People who know someone currently using substances;
- Individuals using syringe service programs (SSPs) and harm reduction services; and
- Justice-involved individuals with substance use disorders, including people who were recently incarcerated.
How to Request Overdose Prevention Supplies
Any organization in Pennsylvania who is interested in naloxone and/or drug checking strips may make a request to receive these supplies at no cost using an interactive map on PCCD’s website (coming soon!) or the POPP Request Form.
Organizations requesting supplies through the POPP Request Form will be asked to provide information on the type(s) of product you would like to receive, how much product you are requesting, and how you plan to use the supply.
NOTE: Until further notice, PCCD will not be able to process new/additional requests for 8mg intranasal naloxone or intramuscular naloxone. We are working with our vendor partners to process requests for these specific naloxone products that have already been submitted through the POPP Request Form and will be in touch with requesting organizations on next steps. This change does not affect requests for 4mg intranasal naloxone (Narcan) OR drug checking strips as they have different contracts/vendors.
PCCD is currently able to purchase the following products:
- (Currently available) Intranasal 4mg naloxone (Narcan)
- Note - Padagis 4mg intranasal is currently unavailable to order/fulfill through our contracts/vendors.
- (Currently unavailable) Intranasal 8mg naloxone (Kloxxado)
- (Currently unavailable) Intramuscular naloxone (vials only - various products)
- (Currently available) Fentanyl test strips (BTNX - 100 FTS per box; DanceSafe - 100 FTS per box)
- (Currently available) Xylazine test strips (BTNX - 100 XTS per box; DanceSafe - 25 XTS per box)
Please note: Product availability subject to change. Processing/delivery times may vary.
Additional Program Information
- PA Overdose Prevention Program Launch Webinar - Aug. 30, 2023