Judicial Computer System Financial Audit Committee
The Judicial Computer System Financial Audit Committee (JCSFAC) was established within the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) by Act 70 of 2021. Becoming law on July 9, 2021, the provisions pertaining to the JCSFAC took effect on September 7, 2021.
The JCSFAC is a 13-member body consisting of both voting members appointed by General Assembly leadership and the Judiciary and nonvoting advisory members appointed by virtue of their position. The Committee was directed to review the current status of the Judicial Computer System Augmentation Account (JCSAA) which supports the operation and maintenance of the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts' (AOPC) Judicial Computer System (JCS) established under 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 37 Subchapter C (relating to Judicial Computer System).
Specifically, the JCSFAC was tasked with:
(1) Requesting information from the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts necessary to fulfill the Committee's duties;
(2) Reviewing the policy goals, purpose and programs of the system, including, but not limited to, the provision of Statewide case management systems for magisterial, common pleas and appellate courts and other critical functions, the system's impact on the implementation of statutory enactments and the collection of fines, fees and costs payable to the Commonwealth, counties and municipal corporations;
(3) Assessing the annual financial needs and revenue streams that support the continuous and uninterrupted operation of the system, including disaster recovery;
(4) Evaluating the annual revenues and expenditures within the system and the amount of any annual surpluses;
(5) Submitting legislative recommendations related to the reallocation of undedicated surpluses; and
(6) By January 31, 2022, submitting a report of its findings to the chair and minority chair of the Appropriations Committee of the Senate, the chair and minority chair of the Appropriations Committee of the House of Representatives, the chair and minority chair of the Judiciary Committee of the Senate and the chair and minority chair of the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives.
The JCSFAC first met on October 27, 2021, where Representative Torren Ecker was elected by the voting members to serve as Chair. A series of meetings was convened throughout the months of November and December 2021, with extensive written testimony provided by the Administrative Office of the Pennsylvania Courts (AOPC) and JCS users. Throughout the process, AOPC provided financial information at the request of the committee, which was used as the basis of this report.
PCCD provided staff support to the JCSFAC to coordinate the meetings and assist in the drafting of the final report, which was adopted by the Committee on January 27, 2022 and submitted to the General Assembly on January 31, 2022 (attached below). Any questions regarding the report or the Committee can be submitted to Kirsten Kenyon at 717-265-8505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
JCSFAC Full Report (PDF)